1987-91 Rhode island School Of Design – BFA Illustration
1984-85 High School Of Music and Art 1985-87 LaGuardia High School Of the Arts
Co-owner of Brooklyn Tattoo®.
A full custom tattoo studio that has been in business in South Brooklyn for 10 years.
Owner, Curator of Urban Folk Art© Gallery in South Brooklyn. The gallery shows a variety of disciplines as well as different levels of undiscovered, emerging, and established artists. The type of work shown is anything from contemporary painting, drawing, print making and photography, to comic book art, legendary graffiti artists and contemporary illustration.
I am The Founder and President of Urban Folk Art© Studios based In Brooklyn, NY. We are an Artist collective that started up in 1991. Using a variety of mediums, our work is brought together by similar counter-culture ideas and blue-collar sensibilities, and is often a reflection of our culture and day-to-day operation. We were a print shop for 9 years, specializing in silk-screen printing for bands, artists, low income businesses, and non profits. The printing helped us fund other endeavors such as Solo and group openings, our own shirt line, self publishing comics, murals, and teaching a risk children. We have since given up the printing business to follow personal artistic goals, but our number has grown, and we continue to show solo and in groups, supporting each others artistic interests, teaching when able, pro bono work, and our merchandise line.
SOLO SHOW HISTORY
“The Collected Works of Adam Suerte” – Urban Folk Art© Gallery South Brooklyn
Brooklyn Oenology Tasting Room, (celebrating release of wine label I designed) Williamsburg
The Brazen Head, Atlantic Ave Artwalk
41st Birthday show, Urban Folk Art© Gallery South Brooklyn
Solo show for my 40 birthday – Brooklyn Tattoo®
SIP Lounge, Upper west side, NY
“Return of the Brooklyn Chicks” series – Last Exit, Brooklyn
“Brooklyn Chicks” series – Last Exit, Brooklyn
“The City” – Last Exit, Brooklyn
An Evening with Adam Suerte” – All Souls Tattooing, Brooklyn
“Hot 1 Inch Action” Group button show, N.Y.
“Brooklyn Bridge 129th Anniversary Group Show” Urban Folk Art® Gallery (curated and participated)
“tattoos and Art” Group art show, White Rabbit Lower East Side, NY
“Russian Nesting Doll Group Show” Empire State Studio, L.I NY
“Original Zombie” Group Art Show, Eight of Swords, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
“Devils and Demons” Group show, Urban Folk Art Gallery, South Brooklyn (also co-curated).
“The Usual Suspects 2,” Group graffiti show, Urban Folk Art Gallery, South Brooklyn
Atlantic Ave. Art walk Urban Folk Art© Gallery, South Brooklyn
Brooklyn Bridge 128 anniversary group show, Urban Folk Art© Gallery, South Brooklyn
MF Gallery’s 40oz. show, Brooklyn
“What you see is what you get” Dual art show/ grand opening of Urban Folk Art© Gallery, Brooklyn
“Mines and Yours” Dual art show with Omar Sanchez – Last Exit, South Brooklyn
The “Toren-paintings” were displayed in a model apartment for a new building in Downtown Brooklyn
“The Usual Suspects” Group graffiti art show – Last Exit, South Brooklyn
Nuhotel Group show at a boutique hotel in downtown Brooklyn with some other local artists.
“Tattoo” art show with other NY tattoo luminaries – Marci Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
I donated some paintings to Artworks For The Cure 2010 (2010artworks.org)
“Metropol Mode” Group show – the Bellhouse, Brooklyn
Group show at Gallery 506 in Beacon, NY
Artsmith project art show at Galapagos in Dumbo coinciding a teaching project – P.S.261
“Seaworthy” Group show Corridor Gallery with Rush Philanthropic arts foundation, Brooklyn
BWAC spring show, Red Hook, Brooklyn
“Love stinks, stink is good” Group show – Brooklyn Tattoo
“Represent Brooklyn” Group art show – TRA Gallery, April, Brooklyn
Urban Folk Art© studios, Brooklyn Next Festival (part of BAM’s series)
“Undergrounded UFA©,” Last Exit, Brooklyn (curated and participated)
Brooklyn Tattoo Winter Show, (curated and participated)
Brooklyn Tattoo Studio opening (curated and participated)
BWAC spring art show, Brooklyn
Mark Bode’s “Lizard of Oz” release/opening Honoring Cheech Wizard Marcoart, N.Y.
Urban Folk Art© group show, “NUEZ” New York, N.Y.
“Comiclysm” (Comic Art) Sputnik, curated and participated
BWAC spring exhibition “12,” Brooklyn
Atlantic Ave. Art Walk @ Artezn, Brooklyn
BWAC spring exhibition, Red Hook, Brooklyn
Urban Folk Art© Group show “The Skinny” New York, NY
Urban Folk Art© NUEZ (co-curated and participated), New York N.Y.
Upstarts Group show CBGB’s Gallery, New York, NY
BWAC spring exhibition, Brooklyn
Upstarts show CBGB’s Gallery New York, NY
BWAC Spring show, Brooklyn
- I have been a guest teacher at the Aichorn adolescent center for residential care
- I Ran a mural workshop at the Brooklyn Museum to coincide with the “Keith Haring 1978-1982 “exhibit. The workshop included making several large outlines of Brooklyn monuments (in the fashion of Haring’s Statue of Liberty bicentennial mural project in 1986 that Suerte participated in as a student at Music and Art High School).
- I Was featured on the cover and inside of the premiere issue of The Brooklyn Spectator Magazine, and participated in the release part7y exhibiting artwork with other contributors.
- I Painted a guest room at the boutique NuHotel in downtown Brooklyn as part of a project where local artists painted select guest rooms.
- Participated in “Tattoos for ‘Flying Kites’.” For the project, a small group of stand-out tattoo artists were asked to create original designs inspired by a child from Flying Kites (an Orphanage in Kenya). These designs were turned into temporary tattoos that are sold to raise money to sponsor that child for the year.
- Participated in Sing For Hope’s “Pop Up Piano” project where I was one of 88 artists who painted a piano that was placed in Brooklyn Bridge Park for 2 weeks for the public to come and play. My piano was then one of 10 chosen to be auctioned off for the charity.
- Participated in Artsmith Collective’s “Project 261.” A group of artists taught individual classes of children at P.S.261. The work as well as the artists work was shown at Galapagos art space in DUMBO, and the kids work was auctioned off to help the schools art program
2007 – Present
- I have continually been a contributor of artwork to the 3 Rockband video games By Harmonix/MTV
- Nominated for a “Hanley” award for my Graphic Novel “Aprendiz” (under the category “Best Self Published Comic”) Hanley’s Universe is one of the largest comic retailers in NY, Located across the street from the foot of the Empire State building,
- Nominated for an IGNATZ award for my self published Graphic Novel (under the category “Outstanding Comic”) for my series “APRENDIZ” – the Small Press Expo, Bethesda, Maryland